With laptops below $500 you’ll most definitely have to make compromises. So it’s necessary to be sensible about your procuring. Nevertheless, consider it or not, there are some benefits to less-expensive laptops—their low-powered processors imply you possibly can count on good battery life and Chromebooks are sometimes much less susceptible to malware.
Inside this finances vary, you’ll usually discover Home windows machines with Intel Core i3 or i5 processors or entry-level Chromebooks. We’ve examined quite a few cheap laptops and every one has its execs and cons, however those who stood out are included on this checklist. Along with customary clamshell designs, you’ll additionally discover that we’ve included a pill with a removable keyboard and a convertible with a beautiful OLED show.
In case you’re in a position to stretch your finances a bit extra, try our greatest laptops roundup for strategies. Or see our roundups of one of the best Chromebooks or greatest gaming laptops for extra picks in these explicit catagories.
It’s additionally back-to-school time and meaning now is a good time to reap the benefits of killer offers and get much more worth on your cash. We will probably be highlighting all the greatest gross sales we discover in our back-to-school offers.
Up to date 08/10/2022 Remember to try our newest evaluation of the Dell XPS 13 Plus. It’s a glossy 13-inch laptop computer that includes critical efficiency and an exquisite OLED display screen. It’s a fantastic choice for everybody, particularly enterprise professionals and designers.
We even have a evaluation of the brand new Dell Latitude 7330. This ultra-portable is designed with simplicity and productiveness in thoughts and weighs a super-light 2.13 kilos.
Acer Aspire 5 – Greatest sub-$500 laptop computer general
Good number of ports
Annoying bloatware comes pre-installed
Touchpad is slightly exhausting to make use of
With its inexpensive value level, first rate efficiency, and strong construct, the Acer Aspire 5 is a wonderful sub-$500 choice. The Intel Core i5 processor retains issues comparatively zippy, and efficiency is quick sufficient for general-use duties like writing emails and searching the net.
The 14-inch LCD 1080p show in all fairness sharp and vibrant, which is nice for engaged on paperwork or streaming video. This machine additionally comes with 8GB of RAM, which is loads for shortly firing up purposes. The keyboard is relatively good, too.
In our evaluation, the tester was pleasantly stunned by the keyboard’s “sturdy really feel.” It has a spacious format, which is ideal for longer typing classes. Though the keyboard lacks backlighting (not shocking given the worth) and the touchpad is a bit tough to make use of, we really feel the professionals far outweigh the cons right here.
In case you’re procuring round for a stable on a regular basis laptop computer that gained’t break the financial institution, the Aspire 5 is unquestionably price a glance.
Learn our full
Acer Aspire 5 evaluation
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 – Greatest sub-$500 Chromebook
Subpar battery life
Between its cheap value and excellent keyboard, the Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 is sweet all-arounder. Due to the Intel Pentium Gold 7505 processor, this Chromebook is supplied to deal with internet searching, modifying paperwork, and different easy duties. Nevertheless, in accordance with our evaluation, it might “really feel taxed by demanding duties.” For instance when the tester opened up a number of tabs, he observed some lag in efficiency.
The port choice is a pleasant mixture of previous and new: It has two USB-C ports, a single USB-A port, a 3.5mm combo audio jack, and a microSD card reader. The 13.3-inch 1080p IPS touchscreen is a giant perk at this value level, too.
Concerning the keyboard, our tester preferred the “crisp and taut” really feel of the keys. It’s pretty snug, making it appropriate for marathon typing classes. Though this laptop computer is a 2-in-1—which means the display screen can fold again to make it perform extra like a pill—it weighs nearly 3 kilos, which is on the heavier facet for a convertible.
It will not be probably the most transportable laptop computer on the earth, however that flexibility can nonetheless be good for purposes that favor a pill type issue. Total, the Flex 5 has quite a bit going for it.
Learn our full
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 evaluation
HP Chromebook x2 11 da0023dx – Greatest folio-style Chromebook
Beautiful 2K touchscreen
Glorious battery life
Trackpad is simply too delicate at occasions
Mild on ports
Sure, one other Chromebook—however the HP Chromebook x2 11 is among the greatest 2-in-1 machines you should purchase, contemplating its low-cost value. Whereas some could discover the detachable-keyboard design a ache to cope with, our reviewer actually preferred this one. The pill’s aluminum chassis feels rugged and prefer it’ll final fairly some time. The removable keyboard took some getting used to, however ended up being effective for lengthy typing classes.
The rear plate, which transforms right into a kickstand that holds up the pill for hands-free use, connects to the again of the pill through magnets. The reviewer discovered the connection to be each clear and robust. As for the efficiency, it’s about what you’d count on out of a Chromebook: zippy sufficient for on a regular basis duties like searching the net and so forth.
The x2 11 is powered by a Snapdragon 7c processor, which is best than the MediaTek chips you’ll discover in most Chromebooks. That stated, the Intel Core i3 in Home windows machines is just extra highly effective by default. This HP additionally packs 8GB of RAM, which helps with internet browser efficiency, amongst different duties.
The 11-inch 1440p touchscreen is on the smaller facet, however that simply means it’s lighter and extra transportable than larger show choices. Plus, the 1440p decision is actually stunning. In line with the tester, colours had been wealthy and shadows had been fairly darkish.
Learn our full
HP Chromebook x2 11 evaluation
Lenovo IdeaPad Chromebook Duet 5 – Greatest sub-$500 Chromebook for OLED followers
Beautiful display screen
Wonderful battery life
Awkward facet ratio
No fingerprint or face scanning
The Lenovo IdeaPad Chromebook Duet 5, a Chrome OS pill that doubles as a laptop computer, has a stable keyboard and drop-dead attractive 1080p OLED show that produces colourful pictures. Though the display screen’s 16:9 facet ratio may really feel awkward for some, it will be excellent for watching films.
Lenovo’s keys have an honest journey distance of 1.3mm and the removable keyboard as a complete doesn’t really feel too cramped. There’s additionally a kickstand that may be adjusted as much as 135 levels. The one tradeoff is that the USI-compatible pen prices further.
Let’s take a peek below the hood. For starters, this Chromebook is armed with a Snapdragon SC7180 processor. Once more, it’s extra highly effective than the MediaTek chips. On the subject of opening up purposes and internet pages, the 8GB of reminiscence affords a pleasant enhance in pace.
There’s 128GB of storage, however that’s not majorly necessary, as you’ll retailer most issues within the cloud. However the star of the present right here is the 1080p OLED panel, which makes each little pixel actually pop. In case you’re after a beautiful OLED display screen with superb distinction and coloration, the Duet 5 will hit the spot.
Learn our full
Lenovo IdeaPad Chromebook Duet 5 evaluation
How we examined
The PCWorld group places each Home windows laptop computer by means of a sequence of benchmarks that check GPU and CPU efficiency, battery life, and so forth. The concept is to push the laptop computer to its limits after which examine it towards others we’ve examined.
Chromebooks, then again, undergo a sequence of web-based exams. It wouldn’t be honest or doable to run the identical sorts of exams on a Chromebook, as they’re Chrome OS-based machines. Beneath, you’ll discover a breakdown of every check and the the reason why we run them.
Home windows laptops
- PCMark 10: PCMark 10 is how we decide how effectively the laptop computer handles lighter duties like internet searching, phrase processing, spreadsheets, and so forth.
- HandBrake: HandBrake is extra intensive than PCMark 10. It principally measures how lengthy a laptop computer’s CPU takes to encode a beefy 30GB file.
- Cinebench: Cinebench is a quick stress check of the CPU cores. It does this by rendering a 2D scene over a brief time frame.
- 3DMark: 3DMark checks if 3D efficiency stays constant over time by operating graphic-intensive clips.
- Video rundown check: To gauge battery life, we loop a 4K video utilizing Home windows 10’s Films & TV app till the laptop computer dies.
- CrXPRT 2: The CrXPRT 2 benchmark exams a Chromebook’s battery life.
- Speedometer 2.0: This check determines a Chromebook’s internet browser efficiency. It simulates this by including, finishing, and eradicating a to-do checklist.
- Basemark Internet 3.0: This benchmark gauges how effectively a Chromebook can deal with web-based purposes.
What sort of laptop computer do you have to get?
Ah, right here we’re on the billion greenback query. Do you spring for a fundamental Chromebook or go for a Home windows laptop computer with extra options? Nicely, it actually is determined by your life-style and your expectations of a sub-$500 machine. At this value level, you’re not going to discover a highly effective workhorse. Nevertheless, there are many inexpensive laptops on the market for many who want the fundamentals.
Chromebooks, for instance, are a fantastic low-cost choice and supply phenomenal battery life. I exploit a Chromebook as my major work laptop computer, because it has all the things I would like for each modifying and writing. In case you journey for work, it’s most likely a good suggestion to put money into a laptop computer that weighs lower than three kilos. In case you’re nonetheless uncertain, don’t sweat it. I’ve put collectively a listing of fast shopping for ideas under.
- Laptop computer kind: There are numerous completely different laptop computer sorts that fall within the sub-$500 class: clamshells, 2-in-1’s, Chromebooks, and way more. The shows on convertible laptops (aka 2-in-1’s), for instance, can swing round 360 levels. This lets you use the laptop computer like a pill. They will also be propped up like a tent for viewing films or taking part in video calls. Chromebooks are available varied sizes and shapes, and completely run Google’s web-focused Chrome OS. With a Chromebook, all you want is a Gmail account and, growth, you’re in.
- CPU: On the subject of the sub-$500 Home windows laptops, you possibly can anticipate finding Intel Core i3 or i5 processors. An i5 processor clearly supplies slightly extra oomph. That stated, fundamental workplace and internet work does simply effective on a Core i3. As for AMD choices, the Ryzen 3 is sweet for fundamental productiveness and internet searching, whereas Ryzen 5 chips rival Intel’s Core i5 as stable all-arounders. For Chromebooks, Snapdragon and Pentium processors are extra highly effective than MediaTek chips.
- Graphics: At this value vary, you most likely gained’t discover a laptop computer with a robust discrete graphics card. As an alternative, you’ll encounter laptops with built-in graphics, that are built-in with the CPU and use much less energy in consequence. That is completely effective for on a regular basis duties, particularly in the event you’re not doing something that’s graphics-intensive—like 3D gaming.
- RAM: All the time go for 8GB of RAM. That’s loads sufficient for firing up purposes and loading internet pages. Most Chromebooks are geared up with 4GB of RAM, which is the naked minimal. You want an honest quantity of reminiscence on these machines, as they’re primarily web-based. If there’s an 8GB RAM choice, I’d suggest springing for that.
- Show measurement: In case you’re a video editor or somebody who does loads of multimedia work, you’ll need a show that’s wherever from 15- to 17-inches (however these machines often value way over $500). The candy spot for finances laptops is absolutely wherever from 13- to 14-inches. The larger the show, the heavier your laptop computer goes to be. A 13- or 14-inch show is one of the best when it comes to portability and worth.
- Decision: I wouldn’t go for something lower than 1080p, as there’s nothing extra annoying than a barely fuzzy picture. 1080p produces an image that’s sharp sufficient for watching Netflix or working in Excel. At this value vary, you gained’t actually discover many (if any) laptops with 1440p decision or larger.
- Battery life: In case you plan on taking your laptop computer wherever with you, goal for one thing that may final 10 to 12 hours on a single cost. That’s greater than a full work day, so it ought to theoretically get you thru lengthy flights or a day of lessons. Clearly, extra is at all times higher. Simply know that the larger the battery, the heavier the laptop computer.
- Worth: The worth actually is determined by your finances. In case you’re strapped for money (been there, belief me), go for a Chromebook or an entry-level enterprise laptop computer. These laptops are a sensible choice for college students or younger professionals. In case you store sensible, you possibly can even discover 2-in-1’s within the $500 vary.
- Ports: A wide selection of ports is at all times a plus, because it eliminates the necessity for an adapter. I’d suggest a laptop computer that has each USB-C and USB-A. An HDMI port is sweet, too. That is particularly helpful for hooking as much as an exterior monitor.